Thursday, July 07, 2005

Movies: War of the Worlds ('53)/Auto Focus/In Good Company

Saw three movies this past weekend and am just getting around to writing about them. Pardon my brevity.

The War of the Worlds (1953) - Starring Gene Barry
Bought this one on laser disc and hadn't screened it til now. From the prices I saw on Amazon.com, I believe the DVD is currently out of print. You'd think they'd try to capitalize on the new Spielberg version. I would think that many people, like me, might want to see the old version as well. I'd seen it on television several times, many years ago and wanted to revisit it before seeing the new one. It held up very well. Great effects for it's time. Classic alien invasion story. (3 stars)

Auto Focus - Starring Greg Kinnear and Willem Dafoe
This film tells the story of the rise and fall of Bob Crane, star of TV's "Hogan's Heroes". It was kind of odd to see a story of sexual addiction told with a colorful '60's backdrop. Good performances but kind of creepy. (2 stars)

In Good Company - Starring Dennis Quaid, Topher Grace, and Scarlett Johansson
The best of the bunch. Dennis Quaid plays an ad executive who gets demoted and is replaced by someone young enough to be his son. My wife and I both enjoyed this one. Funny and true to life, anyone who has worked in Corporate America will be able to relate. (3 1/2 stars)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home