Wednesday, March 22, 2006

TV: American Idol

Tuesday/Wednesday on FOX (times vary)

I skipped last season of American Idol, but I'm back this year and I think it's the best season ever. (Even though I missed last year, I heard it wasn't that great.)

Chris Daughtry is, hands down, the best vocalist / performer in a very talented bunch. His rendition of 'I Walk the Line' was just incredible. When they said he was going to do the Johnny Cash song, I thought, "Oh, no. Big mistake. There's not much range in the song – it has a very repetitive rhythm – horrible song choice." I was never so rewarded for being wrong in my life. Generally, I like my songs the way I'm used to them – the way they were originally recorded and made popular. I would buy a recording of Daughtry's 'Walk the Line' today, if it were available. Whether or not he wins the competition, this guy has a big future in the music business.

I really like Taylor Hicks, though his song choice was terrible last night.

I don't think Bucky Covington is very good and I'm not as impressed with Elliot Yamin as the judges are.

Ace Young had one of his best nights last night, but I still don't think the pretty-boy can compete with the juggernaut that is Chris.

Kevin Covais showed a lot of improvement last night, but I still think he's GOT to go. He might do well in musical theater, but not as a pop artist.

Mandisa has the best pipes among the girls, but Paris Bennett and Katherine McPhee are really good, too.

I like Kelly Pickler (who doesn't?) but she is stuck in her country niche and doesn't look too comfortable moving around the stage.

Lisa Tucker has an AMAZING voice, but doesn't appear too confident/comfortable with contemporary pop.

Whoever is left standing after tonight's elimination, will be doing the American Idol tour. I really don't want to see Kevin in concert. I'll just wait for Chicken Little: The Musical.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home