Thursday, July 14, 2005

Television: The Emmy Nominations

As much as I tell myself that awards don't mean anything, I always get caught up in the Emmy Nominations and the Emmy telecast itself.

I only need to look back at past Best Actress in a Comedy winners Isabel Sanford and Candice Bergen (5 times!) as proof that these awards are far cry from an indication of talent or humor or timing. And yet, I still register shock, surprise, and indignation when performances that I feel would be a lock to a nomination in anyone's book, are blatantly overlooked.

"Will and Grace" - tied for the most nominations of any show??? (15!) I stopped watching when the show stopped being funny almost two years ago. "Scrubs" and "Everybody Loves Raymond" were both nominated for Outstanding Comedy Series and were quite funny at one time, but they've both been in a severe slump since at least late last season. Although you could argue that the sitcom as a form is, itself caught in a terminal slump and I would be hard pressed to find enough funny shows to fill this category. (How about "Two and a Half Men" or "The King of Queens"?)

"Desparate Housewives", a show I enjoy a great deal, is the other show nominated for 15 awards this year. Three of the actresses in the show occupy spots in the Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy category - Marcia Cross, Teri Hatcher, and Felicity Huffman. I like all three, but do we really need three "Desparate" actresses taking up spaces in the category when Lauren Graham has been consistently overlooked for her superb turn as Lorelai Gilmore on "The Gilmore Girls"? These are the kinds of things that should make me give up on the Emmy's entirely. Still, every year I hope they'll get it right and I root for my favorites anyway. Call me a glutton for punishment.

There will be more on the Emmy's in the days to come. Stay tuned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home