Thursday, August 11, 2005

Television: House

Tuesdays on FOX 8/7c

I started watching this show when it first came on last year. I quit watching after about 4 episodes and picked it up again this summer after hearing everyone rave about the show. One or two people said it got even better later in the season.

I'm still waiting for the better part.

Don't get me wrong - House is a fascinating character and Emmy-nominated Hugh Laurie is fantastic in the role of the misanthropic addict physician, who is brilliant in spite of (or because of) these obstacles. I also love Lisa Edelstein (always do). She is a great foil to House. Though very good here, she is such a great comic actress, I prefer to see her in a comedy. Perhaps one of the reasons she turned to drama was the recent death of the sitcom. Oliver Shulam.

While, this show was unique when it first bowed, after about 2 or 3 episodes an obvious pattern began to emerge. Patient gets sick - House's team diagnoses the illness and begins treatment - treatment doesn't work - patient worsens - AHA! That wasn't the problem, this is - no, wait, that still isn't it - Eureka, it really was this other thing (or combination of things) all along.

I stopped watching because this "unique" show was becoming the same every week. You now know without a shadow of a doubt that the first and second diagnoses are wrong. There's no surprise. The only thing that keeps me watching (for now) is Hugh Laurie. They need to start mixing things up a bit or I won't be back in the fall.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home